Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Another Day, Another Country....

The racing and parties are over and it was time to leave Antigua. So in three days, Persephone has sailed from Antigua to Guadeloupe on to Dominica… Yup, three days, three countries. My plan was to continue south to Martinique today, but a front arrived last night and spoiled my plans. When I awoke this morning the winds were howling, so, I thought it best to stay put in Portsmouth Harbor, Dominica for a day or two, until they subside. There are always boat projects to do while waiting.



Until today, the sailing has been terrific; with perfect winds, blowing in the right direction for top boat speed, and comfortably low seas. It just couldn’t get any better. On Easter Sunday, with the boat basically sailing herself; my mind began to wonder….” (never a good thing) This was the type of sailing you wish could last forever…”forever”….hmmmmm. Interesting concept….


Apparently, nothing lasts “forever”, and being Easter and all, I started to think about the end of ALL days i.e. The Rapture. But, when will the end of the world occur?? God knows, Mary would want her only son (I am talking about my sainted mother, Mary) ready for THE END. What would happen if he was low on rum, or cold beer. My sainted mother would be outraged, embarrassed and ultimately disgusted. (Remember running out of beer at Farmer’s Cay last year ??) Not being properly prepared for the end of the world would be completely unacceptable. So, what should a good son do ??


The answer is obvious…go to the website: www.raptureready.com  and check out the “Rapture Index”. This is a matrix of 45 factors used to determine how close we are to the end of the world. It bills itself as a “speedometer for the end of time”. (You just can’t make this stuff up !!) Now, all you have to do is get up in the morning, check the Rapture Index, and you are good to go. But, not so fast !! Last week, the Rapture Index hit a record all time high of 184; so THE END could be getting very near, and coming quickly.


After checking out the Rapture Index, I decided I better get prepared; and fast. So, I loaded up Persephone with several bottles of Antigua’s English Harbor aged rum, and a couple of cases of Carib beer. So, now I am ready…bring it on !! With this much beer and rum onboard, hell, I may even see the Easter Bunny !!


Sailing as if the world will end tomorrow, Happy Easter !!


Capt Dave

1 comment:

  1. Not sure I need a speedometer for the end of time, but a tachometer for the day might be helpful.

    Raining here in Bequia

    ReplyDelete