Saturday, May 21, 2011

Rodney Bay, St. Lucia

Altenator is the white device on the
right side of the engine. Harness is
on the floor.
During the past couple of trips, the electrical charging system on the main engine has been fluky; sometimes charging, and sometimes not.  I was not particularly worried as Persephone has a back-up generator and the solar panels.  Finally, while motoring earlier this week up to Rodney Bay, the charging system failed entirely.  Guess I have to do something about it, I thought.

After an hour of diagnostics, it was determined that the regulator and not the alternator had failed.  No problem.....as  SUPER CAPTAIN has a spare regulator on board.  I adjusted my super hero cape and pulled out the spare, still in the factory sealed box.  I opened the box, (even) read the instructions and was about to install the regulator.  BUT !!!  A second look showed that the regulator was a 24 volt unit, NOT the needed 12 volt.....I spun around so fast trying to find the packing box, I damn near tripped over my cape !!  I rechecked the box....it was correctly labeled, but contained the wrong regulator.... The factory put the wrong regulator in the box !!  Well, at least it wasn't SUPER CAPTAIN'S fault......      

I removed the old wires, and installed the new wiring harness.  Now, I am just waiting for the new regulator to arrive from the states....  Well waiting, perhaps I will do some 'mountaineering' .....but you will have to wait for that adventure until the next blog....

Capt. Dave

    

No comments:

Post a Comment