Wednesday, June 15, 2011

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.....

So, there I am just out of the bunk (still in my boxers...TMI ? ) when Lynn calls on the radio to say 'good morning'.  She mentions that today is the day she and Ken are picking up their 'new to them' dinghy and outboard engine.  They have hired a small truck to pick up the dinghy in St. George.  "I'm not doing anything, do you need some help" ? I offered.  "Sure,  come along....."  "OK, sounds like fun...."  (little did I know !)

After a short ride we arrive at the dock where the dinghy was stored in the water probably forever. There is an inch of growth consisting of barnacles, crabs, shrimp, muscles, weed, slime and  quivering yuck covering the entire bottom of the dinghy.  Simply, the dinghy has become it's own living, self-supporting ecosystem !!  (I'm staring at the 'Origins of  Species' on planet Earth ...Darwin would have orgasmed !!  I nearly wretched !! )   I'm figuring that Lynn and Ken are going to need a jack hammer to evict the inhabitants.  Gingerly, we carry the dinghy and load it into the back of the truck....Now, this is a pretty small vehicle, with only two seats, yet, there are four people !!  So, I get volunteered to sit in the back UNDER the dinghy !

Lynn of SH 3 in the dinghy with me under it.
Ken sits comfortably in the front seat !
The "science project" is not happy about being yanked from of the water, so the critters start 'abandoing ship'; landing on me.

 We don't drive more that 100 yards and it starts to rain;  well not really rain, think tropical down pour....can this morning get any worse ??  Oh, yeah...the back of the truck starts filling with rain water creating a living soup mix, with me sitting in the middle !!  Did I mention the smell ??  It smelled like a portable, perpetual low tide....

So, to get to the marina we have to climb a VERY steep,  long hill.  Allen, our driver shifts into low gear, revs up the engine and up we go.  Little do I know that I am sitting directly over the muffler.  The strain of the hill heats up the muffler.   All of a sudden my butt feels warm...then hot....then too hot to sit !!  I raise my butt so as not to get burned and hit my head on the dinghy....a couple more angry creatures fall off and stare at me. Now the water in the bed of the truck is heating up creating a primordial soup with me looking like a giant dumpling !!   The seafood broth is sloshing around the bed of the truck, semi sauteed,  as we pull into the marina.  Get me otta here !!  Lynn has to pull me out from under dinghy....Next time I want bouillabaisse, think I will just sail up to Martinique !!  Bon Appetite,,,NOT !!    Capt Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment