Friday, November 4, 2011

Ham Fist Mechanic !!!!

So, there I am motor-sailing from Grenada to Carricou on Sunday watching the engine temp gauge teetering on the edge of over-heating. When I got to Carriacou, I tore much of the cooling system apart looking for the problem. The final part of reassembly was putting a 2 1/2" cap on the end of the heat exchanger. As I am tightening, I am saying to myself..."not to tight...not to tight...that's it...NAW, one more 1/8 of a turn will do it". SNAP !!!!!! Yep, that did it !!! I cracked the damn thing. Of course it leaked like a sieve....I knew it !! Well, not to be deterred by a gushing leak, out came the Gorilla Tape and Crazy Glue and I was able to stem the deluge to a moderate drip.

THE TEST came on Tuesday when 'Persephone' motored the 3 miles from Tyrell Bay to Sandy Island. Sandy Island is an idyllic, tropical mini-island; perfect for beaching and snorkeling. (This posting is being sent via ham radio, so I can't send pictures). My best description is the small island where CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow was left by Capt Barbosa in the first Pirates of the Caribbean. The kind of island with white sands, and a handful of picturesque palm trees. On yeah, back to THE TEST...(I get distracted so easily these days...) Other than the drip, the temp was pretty good...just a bit elevated, but acceptable for now. I will deal with it when I arrive in a more civilized spot ie. St. Lucia.

Yesterday was a perfect sailing day, so 'Persephone' flew up to Clifton, Union Island (part of the country of St. Vincent and the Grenadines...SVG for short). Customs and Immigration were cleared with the usual hassles and Clifton was left astern as quickly as possible. (Clifton has a lot of pastel, tropical colored paint but that is about it...) 'Persephone' took advantage of the favorable winds and made the short hop over to Chatham Bay. Chatham is on the FAVORITES list...A long curving bay of white sand, dotted with a couple of rustic beach bars...the way the Caribbean was 20 years ago. There is only a very rough road to Chatham, so it is insulated from the tourist, and left in its natural state. I will post pictures when I have internet....it is truly beautiful. As I type this, the sky is bright blue, a couple of puffy white clouds, and just a zephyr of a breeze. Just the kind of day which makes one glad that they are a ham fisted mechanic breaking things in paradise...
Capt Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment