Monday, December 13, 2010

Gray vs. Grey

I am sitting in the airport in San Juan, Puerto Rico contemplating the difference between ‘gray’ and ‘grey’. The first question that may pop into your head is: “why are you in Puerto Rico” ? Followed by the question, “have you had a few too many rum drinks??….gray vs. grey….what the heck (%#*& ?) Who cares !!!

Well, I care.  I am returning from several days back in Connecticut, New Hampshire and Maine. (I didn't announce on the blog that I had left Persephone in Grenada for security reasons.)  It was great to spend time in the states catching up with friends and colleagues. On Saturday night my 86+ year old dad hosted his annual Christmas dinner for the ‘sibs”. Dad was great; as was the time with my crazy, totally bazaar, and completely dysfunctional family….God love ‘em’; I wouldn’t want them any other way….well, maybe just a little…… !!


Rum tot in Gray
 
But, what struck me most about New England was the GRAY…..the sky was gray, the Maine water was gray, the hills were gray, the trees, streets, buildings….EVERYTHING was gray….but most of all, the mood was gray. Heck, this blog is even gray for God's sake !! It appears that the economy, unemployment and the general state of the US of A has sucked all of the color out of New England. Colleague after colleague told me that business was awful and we got out and went cruising in a nick of time……I stated to feel bad for blithering about the cruising life style.

I could feel the ‘gray’ lift as soon as the plane touched down in Puerto Rico. Christmas carols in Spanish with a Latin beat…..the color is back !! I have returned HOME to the Caribbean…..


After deep contemplation, the only difference I can ascertain is ‘gray’ is a color; whereas ‘grey’ is a “colour”…….Wow.....after all that, I DO need to find a watering hole at SJU !!



1 comment:

  1. The progressive left is gray even during the best of times. Sorry, I just had to do it.

    George Capra

    ReplyDelete