Saturday, March 19, 2011

Beautiful Barbuda

Yesterday we ('Persephone', 'Silver Heels III' and Josie Bird'), sailed the 25 miles from Antigua to the island of Barbuda (Antigua and Barbuda comprise on country). At first blush, it appears that a chunk of the Bahamas drifted into the Caribbean. Unlike the other Carib islands, Barbuda is pancake flat...essentially a giant sand bar. This is not to say Barbuda is small, it's not at 12 miles long by 8 miles wide; at the longest and widest parts. The island is rustic and beautiful.

There is no real harbor...you just pull up to a crescent shaped beach and drop the anchor ! And let me describe THE BEACH...it is the most beautiful, perfect beach I have ever seen. I know I have Blogged about how great the beaches are at Conception Island, Bahamas; Chatham Bay, Union Island; Paradise Beach, Carriacou; Grand Anse, Grenada.... forget it !! Cocoa Point, Barbuda is where God himself goes to the beach...(In fact, after a couple of rum drinks, I think I saw Him on the beach last night...anyway....)

Did I say the beach is perfect ? Picture a crescent shaped beach of pale pink sand that goes forever in either direction. The sand is awesome, the consistency of granulated sugar. There are no rocks, seaweed, trash, tourists; nothing to detract from the beauty of Cocoa Point. The water is crystal clear, (you can clearly see the anchor and chain on the bottom at 18 feet) turquoise green and just laps the beach with 6 inch waves; so landing the dinghy is effortless.

We plan on staying here for several days, and then may move around the corner to Eleven Mile Beach....I can hardly wait to see to see it. We are limited only by the amount of food aboard. There is no place to reprovision at Cocoa Point; or comm facilities (no internet, wifi, or cell service....although my cell occasionally beeps indicating I am getting one bar of service for a few seconds and then nothing). I fired up the watermaker yesterday, and have offered to share some water with SH3; so no one is in any rush to move.

Will post pictures when I get internet, but for now, ham radio is the only option for all onboard communication; including this posting.

THE BEACH is calling....gotta go !

Ole Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment