Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday, Sunday......

Today is day 10 anchored off Pink Beach, Coco Point, Barbuda. Perhaps a poet or philosopher could describe the natural beauty of this anchorage, but a sun drenched and rum soaked sailor could never find the right adjectives..although a gerund may work well in this case: "f-ing beautiful" !!
This is the beach where Princess Di took her sons William and Harry. I wonder if the Prince and Kate Middleton will be honeymooning here ??
This is the beach where you lose your shoes. After being anchored off Pink Beach for a week, the crews of 'Silver Heels III', 'Elin Alida' (our Swedish friends) and 'Persephone' decided to take a cab to the "Big City", Codrington. (3 or 4 streets, and a couple of stores) We dinghyed ashore to meet the cab, and hauled the dinghy up on the beach where I suddenly realized that I forgot my Tevas. We relaunched the dinghy and motored back out to 'Persephone' where I had to search the boat to find my Tevas. I realized that after a week of not wearing any shoes (actually there are no 'shoes' on Persephone, only Teva sandals); I had no idea where I had left them. Finally, after a search of several minutes, I found them buried in a seat locker. Man was never meant to wear shoes; so when you misplace them for a week, you know you really have become a beach bum.
This is the beach where you gaze up at the night sky and  see is a gazillion stars. There are very few lights on Barbuda (the population is only 1,500) so there is no "light pollution"; and the sky is crystal clear without any man made contaminants. You are so overwhelmed by the number of stars that the easily recognizable constellations get lost in the multitude. When astronomers say that there are more stars in the heavens than grains of sand on a beach; they couldn't possibly be referring to this beach; otherwise, the stars would be pink.
Capt. Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment